“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wizard of Oz!

The children had such fun learning about the Wizard of Oz.  They did not fear the witch or the tornado.  I imagine it is because the graphics are so "old fashioned" .
The children began the morning a few weeks ago with a melted witch in the middle of the hall. 
I read the pop up book in the middle.  It is phenomenal and wonderful for holding firsties attention!
Enter at your own risk!
Mrs. Carter: What are those things on your wrists?
J: um...well...um...they protect my wrists as I am writing.  My wrists get sore ya know!





















Tornado research and experiment.

 The children LOVED this!  I had a box of 96 crayons and they picked them and wrote their names!  They seriously LOVED this! :o)

 Brainstorming prior to reading about rainbows.
 Another activity that seems too young for them.  NOT!!!  They had a ball!






 Learned about weather, tornadoes, clouds, rainbows, and spring.

 We did a lot of brainstorming and I was shocked how much the students knew prior to reading about the heart!




 The cowardly lion needed courage.  Our class has a lot of courage!





















I loved bringing this "fairy tale" to life for your children.  Many had never heard of it. 

8 comments:

  1. great pics. I used purchased this unit on TpT and cant wait to use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!!!! great unit!

    visit my blog and grab my button!
    http://teacherstreasure.blogspot.com/

    Great Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Ideas!! Great job integrating a theme meaningfully.
    Heather
    There’s No Place Like The Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. My absolute favorite movie. Just wore ruby red slippers in my wedding! Thanks for sharing the unit and a creative way of pulling from other subjects to carry on the theme! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas! I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade emotional support but my students are at a 1st or 2nd grade level academically, some even socially and they are going to absolutely love doing these activities! I am starting this week and I can't wait to get started thanks to your phenomenal ideas! I will definitely be following your blog from now on!! Looking forward to more great ideas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is this unit called in TPT? Want to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Wizard-of-Oz-Literacy-and-Math-Unit
      Have fun!!!
      Jessica Carter
      jessica_carter@scps.k12.fl.us

      Delete
  7. These ideas are great! One thing I wanted to mention, though, is that in your characteristics brainstorming you seem to be perpetuating the fiction that beautiful = good and ugly = evil.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!