“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Friday, September 4, 2009

An exciting day!

Anyone who does not believe that the full moon plays a part in changing peoples behavior(much like the werewolves of old tales) has NEVER taught children. Everyone was shaking their heads today about their classes. I said, "It's a full moon." They all replied with..."That explains it!"
I went to the "Full Moon Calendar" (you can too by clicking on the words in quotations)and found out that September 4, 2009 is a full moon. Now, do not take me wrong. They were not werewolves but the incredibly off balance behavior, at times so inappropriate, had me slowing the class way down. We even had to put our heads down for a bit to regroup. I felt like a broken record repeating myself over and over. We lined up to go someplace only to have to sit back down as it appears the words "line up" meant to them "mob scene".
They usually got it the second time around, but they had to work hard to control their impulses. Next full moon, according to the full moon calendar, October 4, 2009. Ummmm, yes....I do not think I am feeling so well...I may be calling in sick the day of October 4th! hehehe Just kidding!

As if this wasn't exciting enough, Friday was our "first test day" in first grade! We numbered our papers, I called out words, and they wrote them down. Overall, it went fabulous! They did very well!

A FEW WORDS ABOUT THE SPELLING TEST:
*Spelling tests are only weighted 10% in Language Arts.
*I give plenty of time with each word.
*They raise their hand if they did not get the word written down.
*I expect there to be NO reversals in the spelling words. They have written them in the spelling spiral, written them 3 times each, at home they have studied and written them. If your child struggles with reversals, PLEASE remind them over and over that they need to go the right way. I do my very best to help your child remember these letters with funny sayings about the letter.
*I let capital letters go this week on the spelling tests. If your child writes a word using capital letters when it is not appropriate on the test, it will be marked wrong. Again, for the same reasons as why reversals are not accepted on the test.
*There will even come a time when if your child is not writing the letters correctly on the lines that the word will be wrong. Again, after the practice of writing the words 3 times each, in the spelling spiral, and on the pretest at home they know where they belong. Of course, I will wait until I feel developmentally they are ready for this and I have taught correct letter formation. The difference between developmental and lazy are easy to spy. Being a seasoned Kindergarten teacher, I certainly appreciate each child's developmental stage. However, I believe you would agree with me that I need to hold them up to high standards.
*There is a bonus word(s) each week.
*I will give a dictation sentence that uses some easy sight words and spelling words. This is a grammar grade. I did not take a grade on it this week. Please practice this with your child at home. Such as, "The cat sat on my lap." Say the sentence aloud and have your child write it. It will be graded on initial capital letter in the sentence, period at the end, spaces between each word, and correct spelling of words. Each of these is worth one point.
*If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.



The reading test was also a success!

SOME WORDS ABOUT THE READING TEST:
* I read the test to them. We go one question at a time.
* I went over the test the day before we had it. I wanted them to get familiar with how the test "sounds". I did not show it to them, rather I used it as a study guide in class.
* The children will slowly...sssllllloooowwwwwllllyyyy....be weaned off of me reading the test. That is a huge skill to master and one they are not developmentally ready for as a whole.
*I will make everyone aware when I begin to do this. I believe it will be after the new year.
I have also taught second grade. Second grade is ALL about "READ THE DIRECTIONS YOURSELF!!!" I tell my class all the time(when they moan and groan about something), "My job is to get you ready for second grade!"

I have a large problem that I need your help to improve. The children have come to me with some severe habits in letter formation. We need to work together on improving it. This was a skill that should have been mastered in Kindergarten. When you begin to see handwriting papers come home and your child has not mastered it, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have them practice at home with correct pencil holding, letter formation, and neatness.

Enough on that!

We celebrated our second birthday in class this year!

How exciting is that?

Have a wonderfully safe and enjoyable weekend. See you on Tuesday morning!






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!