“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day three...

We continue to learn more and more about one another, become comfortable with our classmates, and classroom routine. 
I have begun our classroom behavior management system.  I am being quick to jump on the infractions so that they learn immediately what is expected and unaccepted.  I am using a plan that is positive more than negative.
The plan has them moving forward as well as backward.  If someone moves to "Be Wise" for their warning, they have the opportunity to move back to the ready to learn upon complying with the class expectations.  I love this plan because it provides the student with an opportunity to improve rather than give up.
I am all about creating a community of safety, order, and great learning opportunities.  When you have the consistency within the classroom, the extraordinary can happen when it comes to learning.

I am looking forward to meeting you all again at Open House on Tuesday evening.  I will go over our classroom procedures and expectations of your children this year.  There is a lot to cover so PLEASE arrive on time so I can begin promptly.  This is an evening for parents only.  Please make arrangements for your children to be looked after by someone else so that you are able to get all the information with as little distraction as possible.

We will start into our curriculum material next week.  Reading: The first few stories are very easy.  Fear not, as you noticed I have many books in my classroom and your children will be reading more than you will ever believe as we move through the year.  For those children who are not quite fluent or confident in their reading, this is a developmentally appropriate transition into the reading series.  Math: Our first Big Idea is addition and subtraction.  Social Studies: We are covering rules, self, community.  Science: The children will learn more about their world through the use of exploration.  Writing:  I will hold a writing workshop every day that focuses on all aspects of writing.  Handwriting:  My biggest focus currently is breaking bad habits of pencil grip and letter formation.  Please remind your child of correct formation and grip as they complete homework.  Those children who are not strong in pencil grip, get a three point griper for a place for each finger as they should grasp the pencil.

As I speak to the children each day, I can tell they feel so confident in themselves in school and have all faced a great deal of success this week.  I have been holding onto a lot of their classwork for their portfolios.  We are also creating bulletin boards with their work and creations for you to enjoy at Open House.

Thank you to all the parents for sending back your Name Interviews about your children.  They have truly enjoyed the opportunity to have me read how they were named.  More importantly, as each child stood before the class I told them how happy I was to have them in my class and noted something I had learned about them that makes them extra special.

I know their personalities so well already.  The most amazing thing is that each and every one is so very different.  I look forward to knowing more about them.  But more importantly, I look forward to learning from them.    We do a lot of talking with one another.  I know Travis has strong ties to Texas, Grace and Katie have a twin, Jackson can name every president on Mount Rushmore, Charles is a sports fanatic, Gretchen informed me she likes to "toc and toc", Katie's eyes light up from the moment she walks into the class until she leaves,  Izaiah has a strong belief in God, Ana Sophia knows way more than she will ever let anyone know...yet, Gabrielle loves double dip ice cream cones, Josh has so much to share and connects with almost everything we talk about(what an excellent comprehension skill), Pierce is so confident in what he can do in first grade, Bradley carries a sweet prayer book in his backpack and is a joy to be with everyday, I have two Graces in the class and their mothers both feel so blessed to have them, imagine Shane and Logan's disbelief when they found Star Wars books in my collection,  Brianna has a sister going off to college, Brynn found a book today in the class she has read before,  Jacob loves art,  and need I say anything about LEGOS???  Not a day goes by that a 5, 6, or 7 year old teaches me something new.  Maybe that is why I love teaching so very much!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!