“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Friday, August 13, 2010

Dear Boys and Girls,

The classroom is set up, the books are all waiting, the desks are all labeled, the bulletin boards up, I know how you are getting home the first day of school, the decorations all around, and everything is ready and waiting for you!

Thank you for coming to meet your teacher today! It was so nice to have a chance to meet you face to face. I get the feeling we are going to have a wonderful year!

I know just how you are feeling about 1st grade. Last year, I moved from many years in Kindergarten to teaching first grade...three days before school started! I was nervous, anxious, excited, and worried. Yes, I said worried. Just like you might be feeling! I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do in first grade. But, then the children all came into my classroom and were so ready to learn. It was easy. I think you will be surprised how easy the transition to First Grade from Kindergarten will actually be for you!

The first week we will get to know one another. It is so exciting to meet new friends. We will go over the letters and sounds, rhyming words, and sight words. We will review numbers and how to write them. Speaking of writing, I expect your best handwriting. We will learn the class routine and the importance of getting along with one another. A tour of the school will be in order for any of the new students to our school and to remind you where everything is in the school. We will read many fun books. Maybe even one or two you may have heard before! That's great. Do you know why? It's actually very good for your brain to read books over and over! I love books, and from being in my classroom~I am sure you can believe that! Speaking of books, I will teach you all about how to use our library in the classroom. We will have recess time in the afternoon followed by a "Choices" time where you are able to explore several activities I will have set out for you. The days will go by so very fast. I am really looking forward to the start of school and for us to get to know one another better!

At the end of the day when it is time to go home, you will go to another teachers classroom just like in Kindergarten. You will travel with several friends from our class plus an adult so you will not be alone or have anything to worry about at the end of the day.

The first week of school we will not have any homework, spelling words, or a reading story to study for on Friday. Next week, we will start homework. It will be so easy to do, you will feel like it's not even work!

I am sending one sheet home next week for you to explore how your family came up with your name. We will share these during the day. That's as far as it goes for homework!

So this weekend, relax and enjoy your last weekend of summer. Know that on Sunday night, I am having as hard a time as you are falling asleep. I am so excited to teach you!
Love,


This is my desk, our writing table, and where your computers are located.
This is our birthday train and the bulletin board with your name on it!
Our class motto is very important to our learning community.
This is where your books are stored and where you will store your book choices.
Inside of this cabinet is where we will store your backpack.
The reading castle.
Our circle time area.
Books and more books.
Did I already say more books? Well, here is some more.
Behavior chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!