“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Fun!

Wait...I just wrote that! Where did this week go???

Welcome to Kaitlyn our new student and wonderful addition to our class!

When you asked your child, "What did you learn today?" Hopefully, they answered, "I learned about chlorophyll!" They would then have proceeded to tell you that the roots absorb water which travels to the leaves. The leaves absorb the sun/light changing the water to sugar which feeds the tree. When the days grow shorter, the leaves stop producing sugar or chlorophyll. At this time, we talked about maple trees, maple syrup and how a tree can give off something so sweet! We talked about how tapping a tree does not cause it to die and that syrup can be tapped each year causing no hurt to the tree. Once the sugar is no longer produced, it slowly drains from the leaf and the trees original leaf color can show through. As the leaf dies, the stem weakens and the autumn wind or rain causes it to drop.

We also talked about maps and the compass rose this week. Why have a map? What does a map tell us? Who needs a map? All of this in honor of a Flat Stanley project coming up! Monday I will be sending home a letter explaining Flat Stanley and ask that you follow the directions for sending him off on an adventure!

We will be creating our own life size flat children next week. Tuesday, we will be painting! PLEASE have your child dress in old clothes! I do not want any clothes ruined! You have been fairly warned! :o)

Speaking of painting...Friday we have ART SEE and I can not wait to see what they create next!

This past week was a whirlwind. The children have mastered the concept of "test taking" and do very well as I read the test to them.


I ask that you review letter sounds with your children. I have noticed several children are struggling with taking letter sound knowledge to paper in order to express their thoughts. They memorize every spelling word perfectly, and can read some basic sight words. When it comes to writing down their thoughts, the phonemic awareness is not there!

Work on this through oral games and activities that force the child to hear the letter sound and tell you what they hear. There are also many online sights that provide letter sound recognition games.
Check out these:
Starfall
Spelling City
Beginning Reading Games
Alphabet Antics

On the flip side, I will also tell you I had many children writing 3-5 pages in their writer's workshop journals today! I was floored! Then again, we were writing about Flat Stanley and he is pretty cool! Harnessing that enthusiasm for the greater good of writing in first grade...it's super writing teacher! hahaha I love watching their work come alive. Most amazingly was a young writer who wrote in her journal yesterday: "I love my mom and dad, I just wish I could show them." Seriously, first grade! This is an opportunity for them to express themselves and learn more about who they are as a person.

I have pictures...I really do. Nature walk, Flat Stanley's, and more. But alas, as I left out of the school in a flurry of hurry I left my camera behind. I have been at school every day this week by 6:30 am. When the end Friday arrived, I was ready to go!

The children really enjoyed the nature walk and it coincided perfectly with our story! I really enjoyed this story! Did you find yourself in the mom's shoes??? I know I have! What a great reminder to see the world through our children's eyes!

What are your plans this weekend? My daughter has made friends with a girl 4 doors down! Her first close friend in our neighborhood(no other kids live here). They are having a sleep over at our house! They just finished up a pedicure session and are watching a movie, Horton Hears a Who! Oh, to be 11 again! The rest of the weekend...birthday parties and girl scouts. Oh yes, and relaxing! Enjoy this "fall" weather. I know I will be outside!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!