“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Saturday, October 10, 2009

POPCORN!


Unfortunately, I missed the whole popping process with the camera. I did capture the empty tub. Believe it or not..a cup and a half filled this huge tub.
The interesting thing...most children had never ever seen a hot air popper in action! The excitement was amazing. Truthfully, Mount St. Helens erupting could not have been more exciting.

What better way to end the week than have some popcorn? Early Friday morning I headed out to the store and picked up a hot air popper(I was afraid they didn't make them anymore.), popcorn, and a big tub. I even picked up candy corn. Mmmm, candy corn! Wonder what kind of field candy corn grows in?

After reading the story "All That Corn" in our reading book this week, we discussed everything corn. When the book said the corn was as tall as a wall, I asked why the author would compare corn to a wall. They finally guessed it was because it is tall. This past summer I went on a 12 day road trip to Danville, Illinois. We only spent three days in Danville visiting my husbands 96 year old Grandfather. I had a chance to see where my husband grew up in Covington, Indiana. On one of our excursions through the countryside, I made him stop and take this picture because I couldn't believe the corn was so high!

I am 5'9 inches tall, with my hands extended...I still could not reach the top of the corn!
All through the midwest, it was corn and soy bean fields as far as the eye could see. Grabbing a hold of the wind and harnessing its power for energy , stood windmills off in every direction.

I loved the chance to take time to get to our destination. We did not hop on a plane and get there in 2 hours. Rather, we took 12 days to see all there is to see. Chattanooga, TN, Danville, IL, Covington, IN, Lafayette, IN (to visit Purdue my husbands alma mater), Chicago, IL, Peoria, IL, St. Louis, MO, Memphis, TN(yes, I just had to go to the gates of Graceland...just to say I was there! Elvis was singing under a tent. So, yes Elvis is alive.) If you are looking for a wonderful, family friendly city, by all means please visit Chattanooga. It is an amazing walking city full of activities your child would love to do within a short walk. (Children's Science Center, Aquarium, a large park to play in, ride the Mississippi on a paddle wheel boat, a farmer's market and even a baseball field right downtown!) Lookout mountain is gorgeous and you must go into the fort.

Any fun plans for your weekend? The Winter Park Art Festival is this weekend. I may get over there for a bit.

Speaking of art, Friday was ART SEE. The children learned about Pablo Picasso.
This piece by Picasso is called the musician.

The children were creating their own art work using this piece as inspiration. Jack's mom, Chelsea's mom and Dylan's dad were there to make this activity a smashing success! I love how they present the lesson, work together, and encourage the children every step of the process!







Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!