“*Dr. Kenneth Zike has said that at least 50% of the children with learning problems referred to the neurological clinic at his hospital had had no traumas, no birth injuries, and no other physical deviations. Their trouble seemed to come from pressure - pressure to do a task that they did not have the maturity to do.”

~Borrowed from Robert Jackson on the world wide web.



Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's actually scientific!

An interesting scientific study...

Children who are excited to write, will write passionately. Those who are not excited to write, will cry.

It is true.
Write about Flat Stanley or Flat Dylan, or Flat Haley, or Flat Scott, or Flat Amber, or Flat Carson...and the words flow. Write about what makes a good friend for a writing prompt for a grade on a cold topic...and you hear crickets...and then a sob. The children learned today what sob means...and not because I made some cry when I said you have five more minutes to finish and they hadn't even begun to write.
It was then that I want to shake somebody in the higher up offices away from the children and the classrooms and say, "LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!!!".

I digress.

Lesson learned...do not panic with your child's grade on their writing prompt. Besides it is just the first one. Join me as I look at the bigger picture. Wait and see how your child writes when they write about something they enjoy. Although, a good lesson learned. Life is not always fun and exciting. Sometimes life throws things at you that are not fun. But, you still have to do it.

I had four parents in the classroom to help this week. (Which by the way, if you are interested in doing, contact me!) They were working with the children on a flatter level this week! Monday, the children laid down on the bulletin board paper and were traced. Tuesday, they painted themselves. Wednesday, they colored themselves. Thursday, they cut themselves out. Thursday and Friday, I hung them up on the wall. No, no, no...don't worry your child is safe...their life size portrait of themselves were painted, colored, and cut out.

I am so over the moon excited about this FLAT project we have been working on the last two weeks. The writing, the writing, the writing: the rough draft, the conferencing to correct, the final draft, and putting the words with the life size person has been fabulous. Your child has grabbed tight on to this project. They have owned it and made it their own. I can not begin to tell you how excited I am in anticipation of the Flat Stanley letters to flow in from all over the world...or USA...or where ever! Thank you for helping make this project magical for your child by participating and sending out the letters!

First grade has a lot of pencil paper tasks. I have made it my mission to use as few worksheets in the classroom as possible. This requires me to find other ways to teach these skills without monotonous pencil paper tasks. However, they have their place in forcing the children to practice handwriting, reading, and other important skills. Being this is my first year in first grade, I was floored by the skills your child is expected to know. Being a Kindergarten teacher, I am the first one to tell you there is a huge jump in expectations from K to 1. Your children are working extremely hard. I am pushing them to reach their maximum potential with as little stress as possible. How to do this??? Make it fun! I work hard to come up with new and fresh ideas.

Today, I introduced alphabetical order with the children. They seemed to get it straight away when I placed magnetic letters on the board and went through each letter at a time. You would think it was pure punishment to write the spelling words again in their spelling spiral just before lunch. But, it was as if they loved the "challenge". This speaks volumes about your child. This kind of go-gettiveness(I know it is not a word but it so works!) will take your child far!

Progress reports go home Friday, October 9th. Inside, you will find your child's report and several other things. I am including a conference form with a date and time for you to attend. Please try and make this time. However, I certainly understand life. It just might not work out for you to meet. By all means, we can have a phone conference or not meet at all. Just note this on the conference form. I just want you to know I am here for you!

Okay, I suppose that is all for now...be watching for your child's photo with their life size Flat person!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and welcome them!
Feel free to communicate any ideas here!